- This event has passed.
Seed Saving Workshop
October 2, 2012 @ 11:00 am - October 2, 2013 @ 5:00 pm| donations accepted
25/09/12 – Cylia Taryse Wong helped create the Cedar Cottage Seedsaving Collective in 2011, is a Gaia College organic master gardener, certified permaculturist, and member of two community gardens and Copley Commons Orchard. She brings her hands-on knowledge and experience with community gardening and seedsaving to this workshop.
WHAT: sharing practical tips and information on vegetable seed saving in a community garden setting
WHERE: Brewery Creek Community Garden, Brunswick and 7th Avenue (close to Kingsgate Mall).
WHEN: Saturday, October 6, 2012 – 1030 a.m.-noon, may include a walkabout in the garden if time and weather permits.
COST: by donation. A small portion will benefit Cedar Cottage Seedsaving Collective, with the balance going to Brewery Creek Garden. The booklet“Five Levels of Seed Saving” will be available for sale at cost ($6 cash), with proceeds benefiting CCSSC.
Pre-registration requested at email@example.com to ensure sufficient handouts, beverages and cookies are available.
This one-hour workshop will briefly cover:
· What is seedsaving? Seed purity?
· Hybrid versus open pollinated?
· Why harvest your own seeds?
· Which seed should you keep?
· When should you harvest?
· 10 minute break
· Types of plants and how it affects seedsaving?
· Means to keep the seed pure?
· Cleaning, storage and viability?
· Cedar Cottage Seed Saving Collective
· Local seed libraries, swaps, banks?